November 26, 2007

It's working!


I just wanted to give a quick update on how things are going with the sleep sense. I am very encouraged and happy to report that it is working. Brandon still protests for a while, but it doesn't last very long usually. And I haven't nursed him a for a few nights now, he still wakes up once but eventually goes back to sleep. I feel cruel leaving him, but I read that the best way to wean a baby from night feedings is to quit cold turkey. It is a comfort to know that he isn't crying because he is hungry but rather because he is protesting the change, and he thinks that he needs it to go back to sleep.

I know that not everyone will agree with what I am doing, but I feel that it is the best thing for both of us in the long run. I will be a better mom getting a good night sleep and he will be more rested as well. And I feel by doing this now, he'll have better sleep habits later on in life.

I took this picture of Brandon today. After about an hour and a half into his nap I went to check on him and this was how he was (and is still) sleeping. He hasn't had that long of a nap in a while.