October 13, 2007

Oh Boy

I really believe that God has a sense of humour. I grew up with seven sisters and no brothers. (My poor dad often mentioned that he could taste hairspray) Now God has blessed me with three sons and no daughters. I'm not complaining, I think that it's great! To be honest though, I often feel clueless.
I just finished reading an article in Today's Parent magazine called It's a guy thing, by John Hoffman. It talks a lot about how boys are wired differently than girls (that's not a news flash, I have been married to a guy for seven years) but I did learn some things and was reminded of others. For instance, it talks about how boys have the tendency to take more risks and end up injured more often than girls. Also because boys have more testosterone they are more aggressive and rambunctious. I know that I need to change some things in the way that I parent my boys...I need to find positive outlets for their boyish tendencies.
When I was expecting Cameron, a group of us from Church went the the video series by Focus on the family, Bringing up boys. Unfortunetly I don't remember too much of it and would love to go through it again.
If anyone has any tips for me about raising boys, or if you could just say a quick prayer for wisdom for me that would be greatly appreciated.